Fur Sorting in Truck
Selling Stretched and Dried
- All pelts must be scraped free of excess fat. (Raccoon, otter & beaver must be scraped perfectly clean).
- Stretch on proper wire or wood stretchers (beaver should be stretched in an oval pattern).
- Raccoon, grey fox, otter, muskrat, mink, opossum, and squirrel are stretched fur-side IN.
- Red fox, coyote and fisher are stretched fur-side OUT.
Selling Green (skinned)
- The tail bone should always be removed from all skinned raccoon.
- Always dry animals in the carcass completely before skinning.
- When skinning, cut from back foot to back foot. Then case out like a rabbit. (Except beaver, which is skinned up the belly).
- Skinned fur must be sold immediately or quick-frozen.
- Always freeze the fur FLAT, fur-side OUT, with no exposed flesh.
- NEVER roll furs. NEVER freeze or thaw furs in plastic.
- Thaw larger animals with heavy flesh (coyote, raccoon, beaver, badger) 5-6 hours in a cool room or until partially thawed before selling.
- NEVER thaw so long that grease melts or skins become slimy. Keep them cold. Keep them away from sunlight.
- Muskrats should be frozen FLAT and NOT thawed before seeing the buyer.
- ALWAYS error on the side of selling something too frozen rather than too thawed.
Selling in the CARCASS (Carcass fur is discounted)
- We will NOT buy opossum or skunk in the carcass.
- Coyote — Only FULLY FURRED coyote will have value in the carcass.
- We will buy muskrat in the carcass, except in the northern 1/2 of Wisconsin, the UP of Michigan, and Nebraska.
- Clean the dirt, blood and burrs from the fur.
- Always hang carcass by rear feet in a cool, dark area, away from livestock. Livestock generate heat and bacteria.
- If the weather is warm, freezing may be required. If frozen, thaw ONLY the feet. Please do NOT completely thaw the muskrat.
Deer Hide Care
- Skins may be sold fresh, frozen or salted, with NO heads or legs. By law, we can not buy deer hides with head or legs.
- FRESH means within a day or two of skinning the deer. Do NOT let the leather side dry out. Keep folded with skin side in.
- Salted hides must have large chunks of fat removed and must be heavily salted with FINE salt. Shake hides of excess salt BEFORE arriving at the truck.
- Frozen hides should be folded skin side in and rolled tightly. Allow to thaw only slightly before coming to the truck.
Back To Top
Copyright 2013. Groenewold Fur & Wool Co. All rights reserved.